We're talking about everything you need to plan, organize and manage a wonderful, memorable family reunion event. Welcome aboard and happy family reunion planning!
Tuesday, August 19, 2014
5 August Family Reunion Planning Tips and Reminders
August is the eighth month of the Gregorian calendar. Latin for "sixth month," indicating its position in the early Roman calendar. It means respected, distinguished, illustrious and impressive. For kids of around the world the last month of summer vacation typically ends in August or early September.
The last weeks of August and early September are considered the last hurrah when it comes to summer vacation. When family reunions are scheduled at the end of the month just about everyone wants to make it something special. So here are five August family reunion planning tips you're bound to enjoy.
5 August Family Reunion Planning Tips
1. Find a Virtually Mosquito Free Area. Whether you're at home or on vacation, Find out when mosquito season is likely to be at its peak. The website Weather.com has a handy customized mosquito activity forecast, where you can type in a zip code and see a prediction of mosquito activity in that area. If mosquito activity is high consider using organic, natural repellents or planning some activities indoors.
2. Dress Appropriately Each Day. While August temperatures are typically in the 80's and 90's with lots of sunny days it's best to find out the daily highs and lows, humidity and barometric pressure well in advance as this will determine what activities are best when planning your reunion event.
3. Genealogy Recital. Family reunions are not complete without a recital of family history and genealogical chronology. It's best to keep it simple and light while adding a few impressive points of note as well as humorous, inspiring anecdotes.
4. Watch a Movie In The Park. If the evenings are cool and the park is open this would be a great time to snuggle up and watch a movie in the park or on the beach. Serve hot buttery popcorn, S'mores and chilled fruit salad cups with a variety of drinks.
5. Play Water Sports and Games. Cool down with a line of water sports activities everyone will enjoy. Start off with wet dodge ball, which is simply a sponge ball soaked in water. Play water balloon relay or enjoy a variety of activities by the beach or at a pool.
For more in depth reunion activity planning ideas read my family reunion planning book featured on this page. For family reunion event planning from start to finish access the family reunion planner social web app. Everything you need to start planning a memorable family reunion.