Low swirling winds sweeping up golden leaves and the scent of logs burning can quickly stir the heart. Warm woolen sweaters, pumpkins and multi-colored corn cobs seem to make each porch front more cozy and inviting. Autumn at its best.
But what's even better are the feasts. Sweet potato and pumpkin pie. Warm apple cider, corn wine, maple syrup on pancakes, turkey or chicken smothered in gravy with hot buttered veggies on the side. If you're the kind of person who likes an autumn cookout or a big spread in the dining room it's Family Fest Time!
At this time of the year families comes together to render much needed support, encouragement and inspiration. This led to a relatively new and exciting concept in family reunion planning. An annual observance established in 2005.
Family Reunion Planning Month
An observance centering around family reunion planning. The observance began when a family reunion planning group of 400 members agreed to make November the month to commence family reunion event planning. Mark Askew, founder of the groups official monthly newsletter, published and promoted the observance in his book Fimark's Family Reunion Planner. Read more at Wikipedia.com, keyword "Family Reunion."
Why November? 10 good reasons.
1. November is the time of year extended families come together making this an ideal time to discuss and establish suggested dates and activities for the next family reunion.
2. November - January are periods of time where families swap photos and videos. It's an ideal time to start putting together materials for family scrapbooks, family history books, memory books and family reunion keepsake booklets.
3. During this time elder family members like to keep family traditions alive and may make their own proclamations, education and financial planning and seek to empower the family union in some other way. Family reunion planning helps to serve that purpose as well.
4. November thru December is one of the more intimate times of the year. Indoor activities are the norm. This includes story telling. An ideal season to do family history information gathering including interviewing the elders of the family.
5. November starts nine weeks before the close of year. A good time to note the family's contributions toward bettering the community and set goals to complete important tasks before years end. One such task could be to establish a date, time and place to hold the next family reunion.
6. Many November observances are family oriented. Aside from the obvious, others including:
National Adoption Month
I Am So Thankful Month
Child Safety and Protection Month
Family Stories Month
National Family Caregiver Month
National Family Literacy Month
International Creative Child and Adult Month
That said, the fact that spending time with family is already being given serious consideration during this season makes it ideal for family reunion planning.
7. It a great time of year for family outings including nature walks, visiting museums and relatives near and far.
8. A season families plan short modest vacations and enjoy indoor recreational activities.
9. It's a traditional time of year to express thanks, gratitude and appreciation.
10. This is also a good time to get all family members involved in the family reunion planning process and appoint each and every family member over some aspect of the event.
November's Family Reunion Planning Month observance puts family in an ideal position to enjoy a veritable family fest at its best.
Mark Angelo Askew is the Author of Fimark's Family Reunion Planner and Keepsake and Fimark's My Keepsake Wedding Planner. Fimark Home Online at http://family-reunion-planner.fimark.net/, a family oriented special occasions planning resources featuring templates, planners and free printables for weddings, showers, anniversaries, graduations, sports events and seasonal family events including Autumn, Winter and Summer Family Fests.
Planning a family reunion? Don't have Fimark's Family Reunion Planner Social web app yet? Get it at this summers discount special. List Price $49. Now $39 for a limited time. You save $10 dollars. No coupon code needed. For more information about the family reunion planning app click on the link found on this blog page or go to profiles.